Friday 24 July 2015

Basankusu: Another orphan enters the world as his lovely mother dies


Basankusu sits in splendid rural isolation, a rural idyll; bright yellow weaver birds busy themselves weaving their nests each evening, filling the air with cheerful chirping, as women come home from their vegetable gardens with heavy baskets on their backs. There’s no TV, no newspapers – just the sounds of the birds, the frogs and the crickets.

But isolation brings its own dangers.

The funeral taking place at her mother's house 


Basankusu sits in splendid rural isolation, a rural idyll

I will tell you about a lovely woman from Basankusu.  I’d spent time during the last couple of years working with her older sister, in Kinshasa. Her mother had also been a well-respected teacher, here. This lady was a well-known nurse who had selflessly helped so many in the community of Basankusu. She was a proud mother of four children and was ready to give birth to her fifth. 


Francis Hannaway


















Unfortunately, there were complications; a little boy was born but she herself died a few hours after giving birth. All who knew her were devastated – but in some sense resigned to the fact that giving birth here is always a risk. The hospitals here do their best, but they lack basic equipment and medicines. What would be unthinkable in a developed country has become commonplace in the Democratic Republic of Congo. A young mother and nurse – and not yet thirty years old.

I went to the funeral this morning. She lay there in an open coffin under a canvas canopy, but otherwise in the open air. It looked like she had fallen asleep. I went to find her mother, to give my condolences. She was sitting just inside one of the houses, on the floor, with the women of the family. I told her that I knew another of her daughters and would like to pay my respects. She told me about both daughters and then began to cry, so did all the other women sitting with her.

The funeral continued for some time and I returned home. After half an hour, Alain, the young man who organises schools for orphans came to visit me. I told him about the young woman who had died – but he already knew. “She helped me when I was sick,” he said. “She helped my children, too. 
Everybody knew her – she was so kind. But now, Francis, you can see why we have so many orphans in Basankusu – it is because of the problems women face when they are giving birth.”

Funeral procession passing our house in Basankusu

An hour later, I heard singing and rhythmic clapping, the funeral procession was passing our house. They carried the coffin high and half ran along the road, others following on bicycles; they were doing a circuit of the town – before taking her for burial on the other side of town.

I’d like to say that this was an isolated case – but unfortunately there have been several repeats since then.

Isolation also makes it difficult to train health professionals; local medical centres often lack the expertise or the latest knowledge. Equipment is also hard to come by. Everything in the DR Congo is imported, and the journey up the river only adds to the already unaffordable prices for medical equipment.



The funeral taking place at her mother's house in Basankusu

Next month, I will tell you about a wonderful group of people who visit Basankusu each year and change people’s lives forever. 

No comments: