Sunday 9 June 2019

Congo Kinshasa: My kitten's death prepared me for children's deaths


Just before I started my centre for malnutrition, in Basankusu, we decided to keep one of our cat’s three kittens. He followed me about and eventually became my kitten. Unfortunately, he suddenly refused to eat. Try as I might, he clamped his mouth shut whenever I tried to feed him. Day by day, he became thinner. His brothers, whom we’d given away, were already feasting on mice and rats. Each day he’d come into my room, looking for somewhere to rest his bony frame … and after two weeks of not eating he simply went to sleep and didn’t wake up. It made me sad.

The little kitten on the left refused to eat.
“This is what I’m going to see when I start feeding malnourished children,” I told Fr. John. “If I’m upset about a cat dying, what am I going to do when it’s a child who dies?”

“Focus on the positives,” he replied. “You’ll have some setbacks, but there will be even more successes in your work,”

And so it was. Over the years, around forty children attending my centres have died. They’d either been brought along too late, or their parents refused to follow the programme. On the positive side, we’ve saved the lives of over two thousand children!

In the course of this work, we recently had a visit from a new doctor called Patrick (it’s a popular name in the Congo!). He reminded us that play, and a positive attitude, can have a great effect on getting children better.

In the early days we’d received several children as companions of the sick children, usually relatives. They enjoyed singing, dancing and playing … and their actions could be infectious. Unfortunately, those children have since gone, and others go to school. We see the parents of the malnourished children as desperate, worried, often depressed. The children themselves sit, listless, staring into space … waiting for their food.
So, even though it’s not easy, we’ve been re-motivated by Doctor Patrick’s words. We’ve introduced some games and singing and encourage brothers and sisters to play during our feeding sessions - even if the poorly children can only watch.

June and July are our busiest months, with up to seventy children expected. It would be great if, as well as giving them nutritious food and medical attention, we could also raise their spirits a bit through singing and play.
My new kitten - Panda

As for my cat, I eventually got over it. A few weeks ago, centre manager, Judith, came along with a present for me. It was a new kitten.
Donate to Francis' work - click/tap here

No comments: