Thursday 10 October 2019

Congo Kinshasa: New glasses for Veronique

This is "Jean Lunettes" - he's part of the Eye-Doctors' team.

Here he is helping Mama Veronique get her glasses during their February visit. She needed glasses to see the distance better ... she'd never learned to read so the eye test couldn't use a text.

Mama Veronique tries on her new glasses

Judith is interpreting from Lingala to French for her. Mama Veronique got a wheelchair from us earlier in the year.

When we arrived, I went around to the main entrance to the hospital compound to get it unlocked. There were crowds of people and a lot of them wanted me to help them to be seen by the doctors. A woman crawling on the ground was trying to get my attentions and I kept shrugging her off - I had to find someone with the key to the gate to let Mama Veronique in. I was getting more distraught because I couldn't see her outside. More people were calling out to me for help in being seen ... at the same time this disabled woman persisted in grabbing my leg as I passed.

I told her, "I don't have time ... I have to find Mama Veronique."

Then I realised - IT WAS Mama Veronique.

Doh!


No comments: