Sunday 1 December 2019

Congo Kinshasa: there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas

I love the Russian story of Babushka. A woman is visited by the Three Wise Men who tell her that baby Jesus will soon be born, and they are on their journey to Bethlehem, and “why don’t you come along?” Babushka tells them that she will join them soon just as soon as she’s got the house ready. … and, when she’s finally ready, she’s too late. We all prepare, but we shouldn’t leave things too late.
I’m doing my own preparing right now. Before leaving the Congo in September, to go to a family funeral in Middlesbrough, the bishop of Basankusu instructed the diocesan Caritas group to write an invitation letter for me, which he would sign, and which would get me a new visa. My current five-year-visa runs out December 14. There should have been plenty of time.

I arrived in Congo’s capital, Kinshasa, 23 October, to powerful tropical thunderstorms! Still no sign of a letter. “No, don’t worry,” I was advised, “there’s still plenty of time. The bishop has gone for a week of meetings and will be back Sunday evening, 3 November.”

Babushka and the Three Kings

Soon, central Kinshasa, hot and muggy, was completely flooded. We managed to manoeuvre down less popular roads through about a foot of water, while others saw their parked cars completely submerged.

I met up with Huang, our Chinese friend. He’s also trying to renew his visa. He took me to a Chinese restaurant – what a treat in the middle of Kinshasa! … and then on to a really modern bar/nightclub (don’t worry – I was back home by 9pm). Kinshasa has made some improvements recently.

I realised that I was seriously running out of time for my visa. Like Babushka, my deadline was coming up, but the preparations continued. I was eventually able to get in touch with Brother Paul from Caritas, who works with children accused of witchcraft.

Huang Haiwen of Basankusu

“Don’t worry,” he assured, “the bishop will discuss your invitation letter, Tuesday morning at 8:15.”
“That’s great!” I replied. “Will they send it to me the same day by e-mail?”

“No, then it will have to go to the territorial administrator to be certified – and then it will be sent to you, and then you can submit it with your passport in Kinshasa.”

I pondered the situation. If my visa expires while it’s being processed in Kinshasa, I’ll be stuck. If I have to return to England without a visa, I’ll have to begin again from scratch – a process that could take several months.

Francis with Judith in Kinshasa ... waiting for his visa

While I’m sure that there won’t be snow in Africa this Christmas, I’m not sure if I’ll be successful with my visa. Perhaps I’ll be like Babushka, still in a never-ending circle of preparation.

Have a great Advent!

No comments: