Sunday 12 September 2021

Congo Kinshasa : another blood transfusion for a malnourished child


Saturday 11 September 
Here's another lovely little girl, 10 years, called Mama. She came with her mother to my house Wednesday, but because of the nurses' strike we were left to prescribe ourselves, aot the main centre. I visited her yesterday and she'd already made improvements. 

Sunday 12 September 

A busy Sunday morning, so far... 

Little Mama (10) whom I photographed yesterday in an improved state, arrived early. Yesterday, I saw her iron was low (pale eyes/inside eyelids, pale palms). Mum only agreed to iron syrup.

Mama with her mum

Nevertheless, Laeticia was concerned enough this morning to send her to me. I quickly dressed in yesterday's clothes and bypassed the bucket of hot water, which had been brought for my morning bucket-bath. 

On the way to the hospital, I told her she would almost certainly need a transfusion - and she agreed. 

I found Dr. Eric, bright and enthusiastic, outside his consulting room, washing his face from a cup of water. (the nurses' strike is still ongoing). 

Mama's mother told a long complicated story, trying to say her daughter's condition wasn't her fault. She has a lot of issues, but Dr. Eric was able to reassure and encourage her. He recognised her anaemia and convinced mum again that a transfusion was the best way forward. 


Her oldest daughter arrived. I told her she could be the donor. She refused. I wasn't pleased. "This is your own sister!" but she still refused. Mum told her to go and get, family member, Thomas. The young woman refused again, she didn't like him, she wasn't going!

We went over to the shoddy children's ward (where Martini is sleeping) and got her a bed. 

I returned home (next door) while the doctor and Mama's mother sorted out a donor. 

My bucket of water had cooled a little, but I felt more awake after getting washed. I sat down to breakfast. 

Then the rain started. Fortunately, it was heavy but not impassable, as is often the case in the tropics. Mama Julie told me they needed the 10,000 Congolese Francs (£3) for the donor. (The whole process will cost around £50). 

The rain continued as I popped in to see Dr. Eric taking blood from the donor - which turned out in the end to be Thomas. I smiled and told him to come to my house afterwards to have some sweet, milky tea and bread. I walked back carefully, in the rain, taking care not to slip in my flimsy flip-flops. Everything was going to be alright.

No comments: